Friday, March 18, 2011

RockMelt

It's been a while. Like, a couple days over a full month. It's the time of year when work starts to get bogged down a bit, preparing for events and such. Also bringing me closer to my 1 year anniversary of working here. Three more months.

A Story about Browsers
In the time I've been here I have used so many different web browsers. When I started my computer was defaulted to Firefox, which I hate on a basic level. The only other browser was IE, which I absolutely refuse to use on a moral and ethical level (it's evil). I had used Flock on my laptop (before it died) and was using Opera on my phone at the time, so I DLed both of those to try. Opera works for mobile, but I was more impressed with the updated Flock. So Flock it was, until this week. I had log-in issue a few weeks ago, but starting this week I wasn't able to log-in until yesterday afternoon. That's bad b/c it keeps me from getting to my bookmarks that I use on a daily basis for work. So I said goodbye to Flock (publicly via Twitter) and hello to Safari. I set up all my bookmarks and was good with Safari until this morning when I decided Safari was only worth the time and effort when on a Mac, which I am not (sadly). I did some research and came across what I am currently test driving: RockMelt. So far, LOVE IT!
RockMelt is a social media browser, much like Flock or Chrome (which I don't use just b/c), but is impressing me far more. As far as I can tell you don't have to actually be logged into a RockMelt account (or any of your social accounts) to use your bookmarks. But for it to be worth anything you do need to log into your social accounts.

On the right side of the screen (may be interchangeable, but I haven't experimented with that yet) are you featured apps and feeds. Click on Facebook and a live feed panel pops up to read your news feed and update your status. Same for Twitter, Youtube, etc. I also added all the feeds to my favorite blogs. What I like about this is that it replaces having to always have tabs open for FB or Twitter, or having to use a seperate client such as Tweetdeck or Seesmic.And it keeps a count of how many new updates there are and when you open the panel anything you've already seen is greyed-out.
On the left side are your friends from FB. You can choose to show all friends, online friends, or favorite only the friends you want to see. From there click on one and chat/recent activity will pop up. You don't have to have FB open or a chat app. DLed. Love that.
The address bar is pretty usual. You can use it as a search bar directly like Flock or Chrome. There's also a Google search bar that does a quick search that pops up a panel with all your finds, but also has the option of opening into a full tab.
Between the address bar and search bar is a Share button that lets you directly share a page to Twitter, Facebook, or send as a Facebook message. There's also a similar button in the chat window.
My only faults with it so far are that the bookmark folders aren't very pretty and there's an Invite tab (invite people to try RockMelt) on the top right that you can't get rid of.

Basically, I so far love RockMelt.

No comments:

Post a Comment