Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday's Soundtrack: Jerry Goldsmith

Yes, I'm going to attempt to to blog weekly again (if you want daily you have issues).

New feature!
I'm not really a music buff (I'll leave that to @arkthejr), but I love to listen to music. And most of all I love to listen to soundtracks. Whenever I say soundtracks are my favorite genre I inevitably get the question "is that really a genre?" Yes. Resoundingly, yes. It is. Soundtracks are a unique genre because they encompass so many other genres that I might not regularly listen to. Take The Matrix, for instance. I would never listen to Rob Zombie. I never had prior to The Matrix, but Dragula performed by Rob Zombie on The Matrix film and OST is such a perfect fit that I enjoy it. In any other context I wouldn't listen to him (or have any clue who he is). Same with country music. I hate, nay, loathe country music. But on the Runaway Bride  OST I love it and love the Dixie Chicks. Granted, there are soundtracks with music that I hate, but there's usually a good chance that I didn't really enjoy the movie.

That said, I more often than not listen to an OST on a weekly to daily basis. I would like to give you a review of whichever OST, composer, or artist I happen to be listening to at the time. Beginning with:

Jerry Goldsmith

Jerry Goldsmith died in July of 2004, ending a renowned composing/conducting career of 50 years, scoring over 200 films and series. Obviously standing out in my mind are his scores for Star Trek. He was Gene Roddenberry's choice to score the original Star Trek pilot The Cage, but was unable to. His first Star Trek score was Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Most notable to me is the theme for The Next Generation:


He also composed the theme for Voyager:


His other Star Trek scores were The Final Frontier, First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis.

More recognizable to none Trekkies would be his scores from the '80s and '90s, including Poltergeist, Gremlins, Hoosiers, Basic Instinct, Rudy, First Knight, and The Mummy.

What you likely didn't know is that any time you've watched a Universal Studios film since 1997 is that you've heard his work:


Now that you know the name of the man behind the music, check out the Wikipedia entry with a full list of his work.

What I love about Jerry Goldsmith isn't just the gorgeous music he composed, but the emotions his music evoked. I love when as soundtrack can make me feel. If I can listen to a soundtrack days, months, or years later and relive the movie/show in my mind, then I feel like the composer succeeded at his job. Jerry Goldsmith was my first favorite composer. I fell in love with his music because of Star TrekI. Any time I watch a movie that he scored, and am not previously aware of it, I can instantly recognize his style.

Knowing how much I love Jerry Goldsmith, tho, just you wait until I tell you about my new found adoration for the work of Murray Gold, composer for Doctor Who.

No comments:

Post a Comment