Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Week 1: Diamond in a Frame Granny Square

See? I did one last night!

I was a little choosy about the colors. Only because I couldn't get my yarn pulled out of the closet without it all being tangled, so I chose the untangled ones. Only to discover 4 or 5 skeins in a living room chair. *facepalm*

I pulled up Ravelry on my phone (because our wonderful internet was out still) and had my husband pick out a pattern. I was thinking simple. He picked out one that used 6 colors and had a fancy flower design in the middle. But, I didn't object. I had him grab some more yarn for me, then discovered it was a pattern out of a book so I didn't exactly have access to it. So I had him pick again and picked this interesting design. And I went back down to my original 2 colors.

It was pretty easy. I did it while we watched Hoops and Yoyo Ruin Christmas. It's not perfect, but the pattern was a little confusing. I think if I ever maker another like this I'll make some alterations to make it less goofy looking.

Here's the pattern if you're interested:
Ch 7; sl st into first ch to form ring.
R1: Ch 2; working in ring, dc 3; ch 2; *dc 4, ch 2* repeat 3 times; sl st into ch at beginning of round. Fasten off and change colors.
R2: Sl st with new color into the ch space at one of the corners. Ch 2; working in ch space, dc 3, ch 2, dc 4, ch 2. *In next ch space, dc 4, ch 2, dc 4; ch 2* repeat 3 times; sl st into ch at beginning of round. Fasten off and change colors.
R3: Sl st with new color into the ch sp at one of the corners. *Ch 13; sl st into ch sp in next corner* repeat 4 times, doing last sl st into the first sl st of the round.
R4: Sc 6; in next ch, sc 2, ch 2, sc 2; *Sc 13; in next ch, sc 2, ch 2, sc 2* repeat 3 times; sc 6; sl st into 1st st of round. Fasten off and change colors.
R5: Sl st with new color into on of the corner ch spaces. Ch 2; working in ch space, dc 1, ch 2, dc 2; *dc 15; working in ch space at corner, dc 2, ch 2, dc 2* repeat 3 times; dc 15, sl st into ch at beginning of round. Fasten off and weave in all ends.


Found on Examiner.com via Ravelry.com

The following are the changes I would make (changes underlined):
R3: Sl st with new color into the ch sp at one of the corners. *Ch 15; sl st into ch sp in next corner* repeat 4 times, doing last sl st into the first sl st of the round.
R4: Sc 7; in next ch, sc 1, ch 3, sc 1; *Sc 15; in next ch, sc 1, ch 3, sc 1* repeat 3 times; sc 7; sl st into 1st st of round. Fasten off and change colors.
R5: Sl st with new color into on of the corner ch spaces. Ch 2; working in ch space, dc 1, ch 2, dc 2; *dc 17; working in ch space at corner, dc 2, ch 2, dc 2* repeat 3 times; dc 17, sl st into ch at beginning of round. Fasten off and weave in all ends.

I don't guarantee that these changes are perfect since I haven't tried them, but this is what I think would make the corners look more even. Part of my problem could be the yarn I used. I generally prefer to use ♥ This Yarn and Red Heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment