Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Week 4: Garden

Last week's granny square was done on this Sunday, but it's the 4th one either way you look at it.

I still haven't gotten around to dragging out all my yarn to stuff into one place so I can pick it at random. So, yes, I picked these colors purposely so it would look a bit like a Poinsettia.


This pattern was a little frustrating b/c it's obvious the writer didn't have anyone test it or correct her mistakes. I had to make some changes here and there to get it to work. I also miscounted on my first round, but I was far enough in when I realized it and was too lazy to undo everything and fix it.

Here's the pattern (w/ my corrections and some rewrites):

1. ch 5; dc, ch 11 times in 5th ch from hook. sl st in 4th ch (this counts as a dc) , switching to B. (12 dc)
2. sl st to first ch sp, ch 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc in same ch sp, ch 3,*3 dc in next ch sp, ch 3*. Repeat * to * 10 times; join with sl st to first dc, switching to C. (36 dc)
3. sl st to first sp, * ch 5, sc in next sp*. Repeat * to * 10 times, ch 5, slip st to first ch of ch 5.
4. ch 3 (counts as first dc), 4 dc in ch 5 sp, ch 3, 5 dc, ch 1, sc in next ch 5 sp, ch 5, sc in next ch 5 sp, ch 1, *5 dc in ch 5 sp, ch 3, 5 dc, ch 1 sc in next ch 5 sp, ch 5, sc in next ch 5 ch 1*, repeat from * to * 2 times, sl to first dc, switching to A.
5. *dc in each of the 5 dc, in corner space dc 2, ch 2, dc 2, dc in next 5 dc, dc in sc, dc 5 in next space, dc in sc*, repeat from * to * 3 times, sl to top of first dc, switching to C.
6. sc in each dc and sp around, sc 2 in each ch 2 spaces at corners. Tie off, weave in ends.
N.B. (These notes make no sense to me. I don't see how they could have helped any of the problems I had. Feel free to disregard them, unless you understand and want to explain them to me.)
Always substitute (also if not explicitly said) first st in a row as follows:
first sc with 1 ch, sc;
first hdc with 2 ch;
first dc with 3 ch;
first tr with 4 ch...and so on
When you read "sl st to ", where the location is not immediately contiguous to last st, this means of course "an appropriate number of sl sts for reaching ".
Also if I do not specify it, if you lasted prev row on a st (say st1), while you must start next row in another st (say st2), make an appropriate number of sl sts to reach st2.
Also if I do not specify it, if you lasted prev row on a st (say st1), while you must start next row in another st (say st2), make an appropriate number of sl sts to reach st2.

Feel free to compare my changes/rewrites to the original and let me know if my version had any problems. I probably try it out later after I finish this week's square.

No comments:

Post a Comment