Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I was born in the 80s... grew up in the 90s. A break down of LIES!


I hate these things. These "my generation was so different than yours" memes. (It's a stupid meme.). A lot of them are bald-faced lies and apply to multiple generations.

So I'm going to pick apart the one that is supposedly most relevant to me.



Title: "I was BORN in the 80s...grew up In the 90s." Okay, that doesn't justify your use of a capital I in the word "in" in the middle of a sentence. (How many times can I put "in" in one sentence?) Also, you need a little bit of clarification. What part of the 80s were you born in? The early, mid, or late? I was born in 1984, so, technically, I did part of my growing up in the 80s. I just hadn't really developed much of my memory yet, the 90s are the more memorable portion of my childhood. If you were born in 1980 you spent your childhood in the 80s and were a teen in the 90s. If you were born in 1989 you barely qualify for the title statement.

1: "We are the last generation that learned to play in the street." - No you're not. We were more likely the first generation taught not to play in the street. I only played in the street because we lived on a dead-end road in the country that had very little traffic. My 7 year old niece plays in the street.

2: "We were the 1st to play video games, the last to record songs off the radio on cassettes or music videos on VHS." - The earliest recorded video game was in 1947 called "Cathode ray tube Amusement Device." Atari's Pong was released in 1972 as an arcade game (duh, arcade games are video games and existed in the 70s).

3: "We are the pioneers of walkmans and chatrooms." The Walkman belongs to the 80s. In the 90s we were the pioneers of the Discman. I'll give you chat rooms.

4: "We learned how to program the VCR before anyone else." First programmable VCR was released by RCA in 1978 so that one goes to the children of the 80s. Of course, we were most likely among the first children to hold that over our parents' and teachers' heads.

5: I can't read this. The 90s taught you that yellow was an acceptable color for typography, obviously.

6: "We are the generation of the Thunder Cats, Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Transformers"...

  • I don't know about the "Thunder Cats," but the "Thundercats" premiered January 23, 1985.
  • Yes, the Power Rangers are from the 90s because no other generation should want to claim them.
  • The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles premiered December 14, 1987.
  • The Transformers premiered September 17, 1984.

7: ..."Saved by the Bell, Family Matters, T.G.I.F., The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and Martin."

  • Saved by the Bell premiered in 1989, so, yes, it was a mostly 90s show. But, did you know that it was originally called Good Morning, Miss Bliss and was about Haley Mills' character, not Zack Morris?
  • Same deal for Family Matters; premiered in 1989.
  • T.G.I.F. premiered in 1988. I miss T.G.I.F. It was so family-friendly and not designed to make your kids brain-dead like Disney and Nickelodeon.
  • Fresh Prince premiered in 1990 and Martin premiered in 1992.

8: "We traveled in cars without seat belts or airbags." Seat belts were introduced in 1959. The first seat belt law was introduced in Wisconsin in 1961. However, at least in Missouri, it is not legally required for backseat passengers under the age of 16. As far as I can tell, the airbag thing is basically true.

9: "Lived without cell phones." Yes, but they did exist and try saying that you can't live without it now.

10: "We didn't have 99+ television stations, flat screens, surround sound, mp3s, IPods, Facebook, or Twitter......."

  • Network stations, no. For cable I'm not sure how to confirm it, but I'm fairly certain there were over 100 cable stations in the 90s.
  • Flat panel TVs have existed since the 60s. You're probably thinking LCD screens, which have also been around since the 80s.
  • Per Wikipedia, "In 1967, the rock group Pink Floyd performed the first-ever surround sound concert at "Games for May", a lavish affair at London’s Queen Elizabeth Hall where the band debuted its custom-made quadraphonic speaker system."
  • MP3s were introduced in the 90s. They just didn't become popular in use until the 00s.
  • The "iPod," as the brand name is correctly spelled, was introduced in 2001.
  • Facebook - we all know that story.
  • Twitter - same deal.
  • Don't get me started on your ridiculous use of ellipses.

"but nevertheless we had a GREAT time!!!" So did all the other generations, apparently. *sigh*

On another note, I hope whomever designed this doesn't fancy them-selves a graphic artist. That's a frightening thought!

2 comments:

  1. Actually I liked the lyrics in this song.
    I was born in the seventies lol (1975) but I grew in the eighties. We were loading games from casettes on ZX Spectrum and local clones (HC 85 "home computer"). And yes, I was playing in the streets (technically, in the parking lot, not in the streets that would have been crazy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. #5: We also believed that the internet would be a free world.

    ReplyDelete