Friday, September 14, 2012

5 FRIDAY: 5 BOOKS I WANT TO READ

I have 5 books l'd like to read before the end of the year. I have 4 months to get it done.
I love to read. I used to read all the time. Then the internet happened. And Netflix. Plus, it's really hard to crochet and read at the same time. But, excuses, excuses, excuses. I'm going to do it.


1. The Hobbit
I want to get this read before the film comes out December 14. I've never finished reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so that's a future plan as well. I got to the second half of The Two Towers and got stuck, then lost the book for a while. So far I've read the first chapter of The Hobbit. It's not really a difficult read. I'm just an incredibly slow reader.


2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
I've always said I would NEVER read Harry Potter. Well, 10 years is a long time to grow up and such. I know how to separate fantasy from reality. I've really enjoyed the movies (I haven't seen the last 2 yet; no spoilers!), though. Not really so much for the story, but I'm impressed with the films themselves. However, in watching 6 movies, over time I've sort of become attached to the characters. I've heard things here and there and have my suspicions about what all happens in the end, but I think I'd like to start reading the books. Harry Potter is going to be my October goal. I want to read one book every October for the next 7 years. Which means I only have to buy/check-out 1 book a year (assuming I don't get so caught up that I have to immediately start the next book).



3. Mary Reilly
This is one of my favorite books, if not the favorite book. I read it 2-3 times while I was in high school. Always borrowing it from the library. While in college I tracked down a copy for myself yet never really got the chance to read it again. I recently dug it out of my still-packed college things. A mouse had died on it. Nothing some alcohol and peroxide can't remedy. I want to read it again because I miss the characters. And I've been listening to the film soundtrack recently. (FYI, the movie is fantastic as well, but I love the book b/c it's all journal entries from Mary's point of view.)



4. A Walk to Remember
I read this a couple times in high school as well. I read it before watching the movie and I think I like the book better (the movie is very good, though). It's sort of a Fall-ish book to me. I probably originally read it in the Fall or something. I started reading it a few months ago, then it got packed so it got put off.


5. Little Women
Once upon a time in middle school I read the young adult version of this book. I've loved the movie since I first saw it when I was little. I only own, like, 3 copies of it. One's the original VHS I got, one's the collector's VHS, and one's a DVD. However, I do not own the book. I own other books by Louisa May Alcott, but have failed to ever own Little Women. I'm going to find myself a copy and read this in December along with her Christmas Treasury of short stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment