Thursday, September 27, 2012

BEING HUMAN (UK)


Once upon a time a friend told me I should watch the new US series of Being Human. Because I'd like it. I watched the pilot episode and didn't care. I pretty much couldn't wait for it to be over and I don't even remember what happened. I think it may have held so little interest I went and made cookies or something while it played. I dunno. I just remember not caring.

I got to thinking, though. I've had the previous experience of watching the Americanized version of shows/movies and have preferred the original British version. So I decided to give the original UK version of Being Human a go. And I loved it.

Anyway, I absolutely love the UK series! The accents are probably a good portion of the reason. Always love a good British accent.

The main plot of the show sounds like a bad joke- a werewolf, a vampire, and a ghost living together in a house in Bristol. George, the werewolf, considers his condition a curse and Mitchell, the vampire, is determined to become "vegan." Annie is the ghost that died in the house they all live in. It's basically just daily life trying to get by like normal humans, but it never works because when you're not human it's impossible to pretend like it.

It's interesting to see how they all evolve through their experiences, but especially Annie. She starts out so naive, just wanting to figure out what it she needs to do to cross over. She learns some things along the way that changes her, almost completely loosing her naiveness.

They all go through personal things that change their view of what they are, sometimes accepting, but still wishing they could be humans with normal lives.

I've finished Series 3. Series 4 isn't on Netflix yet.

Not to give any spoilers, but to be vague, some things have happened, some crying was done, and there have obviously been some character changes for Series 4. I'm not entirely happy with who I know will be on the show regularly, but I can't really say I hate the idea until I've had the opportunity to watch Series 4.

My new rating scale (out of 5): Being Human - 4

Warning: Lots of blood and violence and nudity. When George goes wolfish he wakes up naked, but he's very polite and cover himself. However, the dead women don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment