Wednesday, September 26, 2012

HOMEMADE SUGAR FREE HOT COCOA


I'm not really supposed to have much sugar. I cheat, but I feel better (read: awake) when I avoid it. I'm also not a big chocolate fan, but come Autumn and Winter I get a craving for Hot Chocolate.

The store-bought stuff if full of sugar and other unfriendly chemicals. And the diet versions aren't much better. So I found a recipe a couple years ago for a fairly adequate substitute. Actually, I've come to like this flavor more than the store-bought flavor.

It's really simple.

Sugar Free Hot Cocoa
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup granulated Splenda
The brands aren't important. Just make sure it's the unsweetened cocoa powder.

Mix together and put into an airtight container. I like to use these.

To make a cup of hot cocoa you'll need 1-2 teaspoons of the mix and hot water. Hot cocoa is really best when made with steamed milk, but I don't drink milk and only use a bit of half and half as creamer. So what I like to do is, while my water is heating, mix the cocoa with a couple ounces of half and half so I get that good creamy flavor. It doesn't mix completely, tho. Once your water is ready just mix it in and you're good to go!

You'll probably want to test it and use more or less of the mix to taste.

I also really like having an Iced Cocoa Eggnog Shake for breakfast. But that's a recipe for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment