Wednesday, October 3, 2012

LIBBY'S FAMOUS PUMPKIN PIE


This is my favorite pumpkin pie recipe. Actually, I don't know that I've ever tried another recipe, but you shouldn't fix what's not broke, right? This pumpkin pie does the trick for me.

However, I do have a couple changes that I think make it better and healthier.

You can find the full recipe on Libby's website or on the back of any can of Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin. Here's the recipe with my changes* and omissions.

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie
3/4 C granulated Splenda*
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp pumpkin spice*
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
12 oz. heavy whipping cream*

Preheat oven to 425°.

Mix the Splenda, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice together in a small bowl. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the pumpkin and sugar/spice mixture. Stir in heavy whipping cream.

Pour into a lightly greased pan. I give it a light once-over with cooking spray. I prefer crustless to keep the carbs down.

Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce the temp. to 350° and bake for another 40-50 minutes. When inserting a knife/fork/toothpick it should come out clean. Cool or serve immediately.

Keep in mind that without a crust when it's fresh out of the oven it may fall apart when you serve it. Refrigerating it usually helps to firm it up.

I think it's good without whipped cream, but whipped cream never hurts. I would recommend making your own with some more heavy whipping cream (you can Google a recipe) to keep it healthy and chemical free.

No comments:

Post a Comment