Tuesday, October 23, 2012

NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS

This weekend we added the final touches to Halloween Town on our balcony.

This is before the final touches.

We finally got the Pumpkin King to be a standing scarecrow instead relaxing in a chair. I keep forgetting he's there so he scares the crud out of me every time I go out on the balcony.

We finally remembered to get some branches from my parents' yard so he's got creepy hands now.


My original plan was to do a bunch of silhouettes in the windows. After the elaborate hill scene on the balcony I gave up on doing other silhouettes  but decided I really wanted to at least have Oogie Boogie in the spare room.


I also added a bat to the balcony above the Pumpkin King but failed to take a picture.

We noticed Saturday that we seem to have inspired our next door neighbors. This suddenly appeared over night:


I applaud the spookiness of cobwebs and tombstones. Jack is even well drawn. Last night I saw the neighbor taping the hill scene in the back up on the wall. I don't mind having inspired him, but since we already had the hill scene on our balcony his just really says "rip-off". Besides, our moon actually lights up when the lamp inside is on. Oh, and it's hard to see, but there's a little Christmas tree in the middle of all that. And last night he had Christmas lights and a black light on that really just light up the cobwebs so you can't see Jack or the hill. The pumpkins also look real so they probably won't last too long.

I like ours better because 1.) it's ours, 2.) every single bit is handmade, 3.) I think it's simple and understated, and 4.) we can still use the balcony. As for the Christmas part of Nightmare Before Christmas, I love decorating for Christmas and don't like to mix my holidays, so I stuck with the Halloween side of things. The same way I don't like how stores put out Christmas things in October (sometimes September) these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment