Tuesday, October 9, 2012

ZERO THE GHOST DOG

From http://www.nightmarebeforechristmas.net/

Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favorite Halloween movies (I don't consider it a Christmas movie; Tim Burton isn't really appropriate for Christmas). When I found out our new apartment complex does a Halloween patio/balcony decorating contest I thought I might give it a go with a NBC theme.

Originally I wanted to do silhouettes of different characters in all the windows, but that's a lot of work and my husband didn't like the idea. Then I stumbled upon the idea of making Zero, Jack's dog. I tried to find DIYs but there aren't really any and what I could find involved sewing that I didn't want to do. So I came up with my own idea.

This was all basically off the cuff, no real measuring or planning. I had an idea in my head, went with it and it worked out!


Supplies
4 yards of white tulle
4" x 9" white Styrofoam cone
3-4 feet aluminum wire
1 small pumpkin on a stem.
Black marker
Scissors
A husband to distract the cat

Fold the tulle in half lengthwise, then cut off about 2 ft. Cut the tulle in half widthwise so both pieces are about 5 feet long. Overlap the two pieces like this:
I didn't take pictures so I have diagrams.
At this point, if you have a cat make sure you have a husband to distract it. Missy kept trying to steal my tulle while I worked on Zero's head.

For Zero's head draw two large eyes on either side of the cone in about the normal position of dog eyes. It helps to have a picture of Zero for reference. Then draw a jack-o-lantern face on the small pumpkin. Shove the stem into the narrow part of the cone (Zero's nose). Bend the pumpkin up so it's rightside up and facing the same direction as his eyes. The ears are tricky. From the 2 ft. of tulle you cut off, unfold it and cut it in half widthwise. Take one piece and cut it in half, then take one of those pieces and fold it several times making it about 2 inches wide. Take about 2 ft. of the wire and stab it into the upper backside of Zero's head, pulling it through so you have 2 even lengths on either side of the head. Run each side through each ear so that it makes the ear shape-able  With your fingers or pliers you can twist the end with the tulle so it stays attached. Shape the ears however you want. Using the last bit of the tulle you'd cut off, wrap it around Zero's head. I used the next step to pin it in place.

Take about another foot of wire, run it up through Zero's head, then back down so you'll have two pieces sticking out the bottom and a line of wire in the top of his head. If you have something to spoke narrow holes through his head this is a lot easier. I didn't so it took several tries to get it to come out in the right spot. Now, with the two large pieces of overlapped tulle, carefully pull the wire through the layers to attach Zero's head to his body.


To hang Zero you'll need two pieces of wire a couple inches long. Thread one piece into the tulle about 1.5 - 2 feet from the end of Zero's body and shape a hook. Attach the other piece to the wire on the topside of Zero's head and make a hook. I used yarn and a staple gun to hang Zero up.


Now that I've finished Zero my husband agrees we need more. I'm going to make a Halloween Town sign and get a carvable pumpkin from Hobby Lobby to carve the Pumpkin King's head.

This was a pretty cheap project. I think it ended up being about $9 for supplies from Hobby Lobby. The tulle and pumpkin were on sale and I used a 40% coupon for the cone. I already had the other supplies.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, I am going to make one to go with by daughter's Jack costume.

    ReplyDelete