Friday, November 9, 2012

5 FRIDAY: HOLIDAYS ARE COMING!!!

I am so ridiculously excited about the coming holiday season and I don't know why! I have a theory that it might have something to do with finally living in an apartment that I like that, so far, has not had any horrible problems. Or it could have something to do with having a fireplace and a mantle to hang the stockings from!

Whatever it is, I'm stupid excited and happy. I'm listening to Christmas music already (usually reserved for after Thanksgiving) and I want so badly to start decorating! (My husband's been instructed to tell me "no.") But that doesn't mean I can't start working on my holiday crafts so that they're done in time for decorating. ;)

The plant nursery I pass on the way to/from work has already decorated. With the time change I get to enjoy their lights on the way home. I even saw someone's yard already decked out for Christmas the other day!

1. I love the old Coke commercials. Do they ever play these anymore? If not, they should.


2. I love, love, LOVE Hallmark Christmas movies! Nothing says Christmas like a good Hallmark movie. And the commercials! They're so sweet! They make me tear up every time!

3. Every Thanksgiving my oldest sister and brother-in-law visit. It's the one time of year we get to see them. Last year they weren't able to make it so I'm super excited this year! Plus, did I mention I have an apartment I finally like that I get to deck out all pretty-like immediately after Thanksgiving and they get to see how awesome it is?

Not mine; mine's going to be awesomer.
4. Traditions- Growing up we had several holiday traditions. As we've all gotten older and gotten married the traditions have more or less gone by the wayside. Now that I'm married I'm trying to create new traditions for my husband and me. Last year I just felt so busy and constantly bogged down with things I said I'd do for  other people. Last year, after the holidays were over, I made a promise that I wouldn't do that this year. This year the holiday season is for us. I'm not helping plan any parties or baking every other day for someone else. This year I'm only making food for my family and trying to find ways to spend time with my little family (husband and kitty).

We tend to have issues with saying we're going to do something new one night then end up doing the same-old, same-old or staying home and watching a movie. So this year I'm creating an advent calendar to give us fun things to do. Not every activity is going out somewhere and doing something new, though. Some activities are as simple as staying home and playing a board game or just going Christmas shopping. But it'll make sure we make as much of the Christmas season as possible without overloading ourselves.

I'll post about my advent calendar when I finish it (which reminds me, I need to take progress pics.

5. Black Friday is something I refuse to participate in. It's for the crazy people. I mean, why would I want to wake up before the sun rises to go stand in a humongous line to save money? Hello, saving money is what internet is for! I remember one year staying Thanksgiving night at my sister's house so we could get up early Friday morning to snag some awesome deals on Amazon and then go back to sleep.

Black Friday is for sleeping in and spending the day watching Christmas movies. And for starting to drag out all the Christmas decorations.

This year we're going to have our niece stay the night and do awesome holiday/Christmas activities. When my sisters and I were later we'd go to our aunt's house at Christmas time and help put up her little tree. I want Celia to have that same experience  so Black Friday is pretty much going to be for making awesome memories for her. Shhhh, don't tell her, though. It's supposed to be a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment