Friday, November 2, 2012

READING: AN OBSESSION

I used to read all the time.

All. The. Time.

When I started to learn to read in the First Grade I hated it. It was hard. When we would have our separate reading time I'd try to find a picture book or a book with as few words as possible. My teacher usually caught me and made me pick an actual book to read. Max the Cat was my favorite.

I don't remember much about Second Grade. I remember we counted to 1,000 and throwing up on Riley's back. I told my mom I didn't feel good.

In Third Grade is when reading really started. I guess, by force, I was probably at a Third Grade reading level, but I still didn't want to read. My mom and teacher bribed me. I don't remember how, I just remember being bribed. And then I started to read. And read. And read. At home. At school. During class. Instead of doing homework. I became addicted to reading. I liked to read those Help! I'm Trapped... books. Oh, and I loved The Christmas Tree That Ate My Mother (I may have to read it again). So, my mom and teacher had to start bribing me to not read all the time, only when appropriate.

I love Scholastic books.

In middle school I started writing all the time. Writing fan fiction. Writing original stories. Writing an short novel. Writing during class. Writing became my passion. I was going to be an author.

I think it took me a day over a year to write my short novel. I was inspired by reading The Outsiders. S. E. Hinton wrote it as a a 16 year old and it was published when she was 18. I was 17 and never published.

In high school I met the books I would read over and over. Mary Reilly- after watching the movie I discovered the book and have read it at least 3 times. A Walk to Remember- I wanted to see the movie so badly and decided to read the book first; I've read it 2 or 3 times. Star Trek Invasion- of the 4-book series I've read the 2nd and 3rd book twice. I've started several books a 2nd time, but I get distracted easily.

In college I sort of lost time to read all the time. I had books to read for class, several of which I hated and swore to never read again. *cough*The Great Gatsby*cough* Some books I did honestly enjoy. I'd like to read The Sun Also Rises again (I actually just recently found my copy).

I finally bought a copy of Mary Reilly while in college but never read more than the first chapter. I recently found it in my old bedroom at my parents' house with a dead mouse on it. I should throw it away, but I've just quarantined it from my other books. I love it to much to throw away.

In college, after studying and work all day, it was just easier to sit down and watch a movie. There was too much to do and too little time to read recreationally. I craved my books, but just didn't really read. During the summers, during work, I did have some time to read, but usually short books. One I enjoyed was Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader; I enjoyed it because it was several short stories written by a book lover about how she grew up in a family of book lovers. My favorite story was  Never Do That to a Book.

After college I moved-in with some friends and began to rediscover reading. Actually, it was because of watching Memoirs of a Geisha that I began to read again. I loved the movie so much that I tracked down the book. I read it during every spare moment I had. Actually, I think I read it in November. I think I'll dig it out tonight and read it again. Memoirs of a Geisha inspired me to read a genre I hadn't before. I was suddenly interested in the Asian culture. Next I read Empress Orchid by Anchee Min. I tried to find her other books, but by that point I moved into my own first apartment that came with cable and reading was suddenly out again.

The last couple years I keep trying to pick up reading again. It's difficult, somehow. I keep thinking if I have time to read I have time to crochet and it's very difficult to do both at the same time. I've listened to some audio books to solve that, but it's just not the same as holding a book in your hands. This year I've listened to the Hunger Games trilogy via Audible and got the first Harry Potter audio book from the library. I did, however, actually read The Hobbit.

My goal is to make myself read or listen to at least 1 book a month. I want my reading obsession back. I miss it. Once you would never see me without a book, now you just see me playing on my phone.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I've made some "adjustments" where I have to focus more on reading! lol Good luck getting back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! For a while it seemed like I never had time to read..then I got a new job. I figured out the easiest way to get there was on the train. So now I read during my commute, and sometimes on my lunch break.

    I'm 24 years old but I still love YA novels. I don't know if people who write for "adults" tend to shy away from the supernatural stuff I love, or if it's just because they're shorter and quicker to get through. LOL.

    If you're looking for book recommendations, I love anything by Tamora Pierce. She writes fantasy YA, and all of her series are quartets. I've read her "Circle of Magic" books and "The Circle Opens" probably 3 or 4 times. Right now I'm reading the "Song of the Lioness" quartet, about a girl who disguises herself as a boy so she can become a knight.

    My other favorite author at the moment is Diane Duane. I read her "So You Want to Be a Wizard" books as a kid, and then I found out that she's also written a bunch of Star Trek novels. They are EXCELLENT. My favorite is probably "The Wounded Sky." She takes the characters from TOS and really turns them into 3-dimensional people, with believable backstories and nuances in their personalities that the writers of the show never bothered to develop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I love Diane Duane's Star Trek books! I never realized she'd written Others.

    Lol, you make 24 sound so old. I'm 28 and still prefer YA books. I keep thinking about giving my Baby-Sitter's Club books to my niece but I want to read them all again first. I started reading A Walk to Remember again last night, but I'm not sure if I'll continue because I'd forgotten how unimpressed I was with Nicholas Sparks' writing.

    My drive to work is where my audio books have come in handy. I have a couple classic titles from Audible I should probably start listening to.

    ReplyDelete