Wednesday, December 5, 2012

BROCCOLI, HAM, & CHEESE SOUP


I love it when I pin a recipe and it turns out amazing.

I found this recipe while trying to find something to use some of the excess of ham and cheese I have in the fridge. I almost didn't have to buy a single ingredient (but I did have to buy a single one).

As always, I changed it up a tad to fit my taste, allergies, diet, and budget. If you want the absolute original you can visit the above link.

Broccoli, Ham, & Cheese Soup
3 cups steamed broccoli, chopped
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 vegetable broth (chicken broth would probably work, too)
1/2 cup chopped, cooked ham
Pepper to taste
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

1. Steam broccoli - I used a bag of regular frozen broccoli. It probably would have been better if I had a steamer bag of florets b/c I'm not a big fan of the stems and it was still a little crunchy.
2. In a blender, combine 1 cup of the broccoli, the cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, and 1/4 cup vegetable broth; blend until smooth.
3. Pour blended ingredients into a saucepan. Add the remaining broth, broccoli, and ham. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, probably until the broccoli is soft.
4. Add shredded cheese, stirring until melted.
5. Enjoy!

It's about 5 carbs per 1 cup serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment