Monday, December 17, 2012

SNOWMAN HEAD TRUFFLES



At this time of year I can't help wanting to bake! It's ridiculous! And really frustrating when I shouldn't be eating the things I bake. *sigh*

I'm craft and bakey (that's not a word, but it fit) and my office knows it. I made Pumpkin Cake Truffles back in October (and apparently forgot to blog about them - I'VE FAILED!) for a couple events and they were a hit, so now my office keeps asking for them. Because of all the time they take I keep saying no, but I finally decided to treat them for Christmas.

I searched Pinterest for Christmas truffle ideas and there were so many I wanted to do, but then I had an apostrophe! (read: Hook) I decided I would make decapitated snowman head truffles! I searched Pinterest for snowman truffles but couldn't find any I liked so I decided to wing it.

Ingredients
1 box white cake mix
1/3 - 1/2 can of cream cheese frosting
vanilla almond bark
Crisco
candy corn
chocolate chips (I used mint chocolate chips)
parchment or wax paper


1. Bake the white cake according to the instructions on the box. I like to let the cake cool over night so truffles are a 2 day process for me.
2. Crumble the cake in a large bowl and mix in the frosting. How much you use depends on what consistency you want. Mine ended up a little crumblier than intended but still held together well.
3. Roll the cake/frosting mix into balls. Mine were a little bit bigger than golf balls. I ended up with 18 total, minus the bits of cake I nibbled. (Normally I make them smaller and get about 60 balls.) Put them into the freezer while you melt the almond bark.
4. I just use my little crockpot to melt my almond bark. I used about 2/3 of the backage, adding as I needed. I add a spoonful of Crisco to thin it up a bit, but not so much that it's runny.
5. While the almond bark is melting you'll want to make your carrot noses (or do this while the cake is baking if you're making more than I did). Cut the yellow and white ends off the candy corn. Rub the orange bit between your fingers and shape a little cone. It will be a little crumbly so be careful.
6. Dip your balls in the almond bark. I just dropped a ball in and moved in around with a spoon then picked it up with the spoon (trying not to get too much extra bark). Set it on the parchment paper. I tried to decorate the balls before they solidified, but I kept making a mess, so I just set the noses on top and waited for them to dry.
7. Once dry I dabbed some almond bark on the bottom of the chocolate chips and placed them on the balls.
8. After they completely dry, carefully use a knife to trim off the excess bark (or leave it if you want it to look like he's been melting)

You can present these however you want. I set them in cupcake wrappers then put them into cellophane baggies (I hate that word), and tied ribbons around them with a little homemade gift tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment