Friday, January 11, 2013

5 FRIDAY: 5 THINGS I WANT TO DO THIS YEAR

I always really like the idea of making a goal list like Elsie of A Beautiful Mess does. She makes a list of goals, as many as however old she is, to accomplish before her next birthday. I tried to do this last year, but never even completed writing the list. It's really hard to come up with 28 things I want to do before 29. (Wow, am I really that old???)

Instead, how about a short list? Its a new year to accomplish new things or just finally do things I've been meaning to get around to. 2011 was stressful. 2012 I tried to take easy. Had the Langoliers come last year I'd have been first on their list. This year I'd like to find a happy middle ground.

Here's some things I've been wanting to do that I'd like to finally get around to this year. It's not a resolution list; if I don't suceed then I didn't fail.

1. Take a road trip.
My husband and I have been wanting to do this for ages. So far, the closest we've gotten has been a friend's wedding in Oklahoma (1 day trip), our honeymoon to St. Louis (weekend trip), and visits to see his family in Kansas City. These don't qualify as road trip because they had specific purposes; we were going somewhere because of a reason. A road trip involves going somewhere just because you want to, then you find things to do while you're there

2. Learn to knit.
I tried to learn this on January 1, but I've had crochet projects to work on for the last few days and haven't gotten back just yet, but it's only the 11th. I've still got the whole year. I did at least learn how to cast-on, but getting further than that just wasn't working out. I plan to learn enough to make a simple Christmas quilt.

3.Lose weight.
This is something I'm always striving for. I have an addiction to good food, but I'm working on moderation. I'm also a stress eater and I'm currently under a lot of stress so I'm working hard to learn moderation. I made this an easy goal, tho, I think. I'm determined to lose 5 lbs. a month. Not crazy, right? Honestly, I can lose that amount in a week if I just stick to a good routine, but my stick-to-it-iveness is the issue. But I think it's a better goal than saying I'm going to lose x lbs. this year. It's very specific, but it's not asking for too much.

4. Stop eating fast-food.
This is a goal my husband made that I'm inclined to agree with. We're both pretty tired and feel non-creative by the end of the day so we end up making the same thing for dinner all the time or give up and run across the street to McDonald's instead. He's pretty sick of McDonald's but they're the cheapest and closest.
Originally he wanted to give up a new fast-food place each month, but that still leaves too many options. So I suggested just giving them all up now and we'll choose an actual restaurant once or twice a month to go to.
We're defining fast-food as anywhere with a drive-through; however, this does not include Jimmy John's because there's only one of those with a drive-through and that's not normal.

5. Read more.
As I've said before, I love reading. It used to be an addiction and working hard to rekindle it. Currently, I'm listening to a Jane Eyre audio book. It's narrated by Juliet Stevenson. I just put on hold Tina Fey's Bossypants audiobook, read by her, so I'm looking forward to that.
I'm really just wanting to read at least one book a month. I'm a slow reader (sometimes listener). I think 12 books in a year is a good number. I'll eventually make a list of what I'd like to read.

So that's it. Quite reasonable, right? I'm not asking for too much, but just enough to feel accomplished. I have other things I'd like to achieve or do this year, but these are the 5 I'd like to focus on mostly.

Oh, and as an actual resolution, I've given up soda. In 11 days I have only had 2. And I'm not craving it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment