Thursday, March 28, 2013

5 FRIDAY: SHOWS I'M WATCHING

I'm a multitasker. I can't function unless I have several things going on at once. I've tried it. It doesn't work. If I try to concentrate on one thing I blank out and catch myself staring at the wall.

I watch a lot of shows (thanks to handy-dandy Netflix). Not all at once, but, y'know, an episode here, an episode there, here an episode, there an episode, everywhere an episode. Old McDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O.

Here's my top 5 that I've been enjoying lately:

1. Mad Men

I've always enjoyed John Hamm randomly showing up on SNL. My favorite skit is Hamm & BublĂ©. I've known several people who really liked Mad Men (they're all hipsters) and several have told my husband we'd like it (he associates with hipsters more than I do; I try to avoid them like the plague, but it never works, b/c I seem to have hipster-like tendencies myself). I thought it might be interesting since it's about the ad industry and I love advertising (hello, graphic arts major). Plus it's set in the 60s, which is a fantastic decade for design, dress, furniture, vehicles, etc. (it's just plain pretty).
Now that we're watching it I've learned it's definitely less about advertising and more about the men in advertising (hence the title), but we get a few glimpses of artwork and campaigns. As much as I like John Hamm, I find Donald Draper a down-right jerk. I won't say more so as to avoid spoilers. I'm really not sure I have a favorite character. They all have qualities that make them likable, but problems that make them not lovable.


2. The Walking Dead

After my sister bugged and bugged me to watch this, I finally broke down and started watching it. I haven't watched much more since my previous post here, so I'll just leave it at that.


3. Deep Space Nine
I love this show. Of course, because you know I love Star Trek. I always forget how much I enjoy DS9 until I go back and watch it. The thing I love about not watching a favorite show for several years and forgetting everything that happens so it's like watching a brand new show.


4. Parks and Recreation

We've been watching this for almost however long it's been on, but after we finished watching all of the available seasons of 30 Rock on Netflix we decided to start this one from the beginning. I don't remember having watched the first few seasons at all. We're to a point now where I recognize most episodes, but they're worth rewatching.
April and Andy are defiantly my favorite characters. I love how they're complete opposites.


5. Xena

I've been watching this on and off for the last year or so. I'll spend a couple days watching nothing but Xena, but then I'll get tired of watching mindlessness rewriting history and Greek mythology so I'll switch to something that makes me feel smarter.
Although, I do enjoy Xena for the fact that it's one of those shows I can just shut down and watch. It doesn't require a lot of thinking. The plots are always obvious. The characters are pretty shallow. The effects are ridiculous. But it's fun. If you know any Greek mythology (i.e., went to high school), you'll recognize some plots and see how Xena is inserted into familiar stories. I recently watched the episode "A Solstice Carol," which revisits a Christmas Carol, and on their way out of town they pass a man and his very pregnant wife on their way to register for the census. I appreciate how they don't totally write off Christianity and focus only on Greek gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment