Thursday, March 7, 2013

BIRD'S THE WORD

Well, don't you know about the bird?

Okay, actually, ORGANIZATION is currently the word. For me. But it's the word.

I'm determined to get organized. My organization skills are part of the reason I have my current job. I'm crazy organized at work. But not so much at home. I am. But I'm not. Not to my standards. I feel about 80% organized at home and even at that I want to rip everything apart and reorganize to a full 100%.

I looked at the coffee maker this morning and wondered when was the last time I fully cleaned it.

Sundays are my cleaning days. I'm technically note supposed to do anything but relax on Sunday, no cleaning. Y'know:
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: init thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor they daughter, thy manservant, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:8-11
But knowing my home is clean by the time I sit down to watch Once Upon a Time is relaxing and I think that's important. To feel satisfied and relaxed.

Besides, I don't do much on Saturdays other than sit on the couch crocheting and watching Netflix. So I do rest one day a week.

ORGANIZATION.

Yeah. I wanna do that. I have a weekly cleaning routine but it doesn't give room for the extra things I forget to clean that seriously need cleaned once in a while.

I signed up for FlyLady, but just looking at this week's tasks was overwhelming. And apparently she's stuck on having to get fully dressed every morning, including wearing your shoes. I'm sorry. No. I will not wear my shoes in the house when I have no plans to go anywhere. I can put them on when I'm good and ready.

Then I Googled cleaning lists and came across some very thorough lists from Martha Stewart.

Obviously, when living in a small rented apartment there are limits to what you can do. Certain items must be left up to the maintenance staff to handle. And when some things would be easier to rip out and replace, that's just not an option in a rental. Personally, I would redesign our bathrooms to make things more spacious  sleek, and easy to clean. But I don't have that option.

This past weekend I went through some kitchen items and decided to get rid of things I never use or have no idea what to do with. I decided to get rid of three of our coffee tumblers we never use (and are ugly). I've made the determination that this weekend I'm going to go through food storage containers and get rid of most (if not all) and replace them with a nice matching glass set. Glass scares me but it's easier to clean. Glass doesn't get those gross textured stains that plastic does.

I've been working on a list of items that I realize I don't clean regularly (e.g., coffee pot, couch cushions, etc.) and have made a bit of a yearly cleaning schedule. I think I'm going to buy a small binder, print out some lists, and be more organized about my cleaning schedule. So, in the morning, when I'm pouring my second cup of coffee, I'm not standing there wondering when was the last time I fully cleaned the coffee maker.

I am Danny Tanner.

And on that note, don't forget, BIRD'S THE WORD!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment