Thursday, March 14, 2013

COCONUT MACAROONS


These are so OMNOMNOM!

I think.

I can't eat coconut. My husband was my taste-tester, but I had to nibble one because they smelled so good! It was so hard to make these without licking out the bowl. I love coconut; it just doesn't love me.

These were super simple. So simple they may become my go-to for treats.

EASY PEASY COCONUT MACAROONS
from Food Wanderings in Asia

5 1/4 cups coconut flakes
1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cups flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
melting chocolate (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper- I highly recommend this! I was out and had to use tin foil, which almost resulted in failure but I was able to carefully remove any sticky bits.

2. Mix flour and coconut together, then add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla, mixing well.

3. Wet your hands to roll little balls and place on baking sheet. I had to re-wet my hands (wash stickiness off) after every 10 balls.

4. Bake for 12-15 minutes until tops are golden.

To dip the macaroons I learned by trial and error. Dipping was easy. I just bought a little container of melting chocolate that you can place directly in the microwave. I have a lower temp microwave but it melted pretty fast and evenly. Then I picked up each macaroon and carefully dipped the bottom into the chocolate and placed it back onto some wax paper on the counter.

Getting the chocolate to harden was not easy. I suggest placing the dipped macaroons on parchment/wax paper on a tray you can put in the refrigerator. After half an hour of not hardening, I carefully scooched the paper and macaroons onto the bottom side of a cookie sheet to put them in the fridge. They shifted a bit so my perfect chocolate bottoms smooshed a little.

I left them in the fridge all night afraid the chocolate wouldn't stay hard, but after sitting on the counter at work all day it seems to have stayed hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment