Tuesday, April 9, 2013

APPLE PIE GREEN JUICE


I worked on perfecting this smoothie for a week. And, according to my husband, I finally got it.
A couple weekends ago our internet was out and I was home alone so I found myself watching one of Julia Child's shows on PBS. She had on a chef who was making a traditional apple pie. Ohmygoodness, it looked so good! I decided I wanted to try making an apple pie smooth and immediately went to the store for apples.

The first one I made was a pretty good first try. But I had to try to make it even better. The second one had too much cinnamon and the third too much nutmeg (this is where I reminded myself nutmeg is gross and to never use it in anything but donut muffins). My biggest problem was the pulp. I hate pulp. It makes me gag. I decided the skin was a problem that needed solving. I borrowed a juicer from my parents and juiced the apple for my fourth attempt. While everything else in the smoothie seemed right, the apple had lost most of it's flavor in the process, but I was using Braeburn apples so I switched to Granny Smith for something a bit stronger.

And now, perfection. And not so much a smoothie anymore.

Apple Pie Green Juice
1 Granny Smith apple (or whatever kind you want, so long as it has a strong favor)
Water
1/8 tsp Vanilla
1 squirt Liquid Stevia
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 cup Half and Half
Juicer
Blender

  1. Juice the apple. Add 1/4 cup half and half, then enough water to equal a cup and pour in the blender.
  2. Add vanilla, Stevia and cinnamon (how much you use of these is really more to taste than exact amount, so add or subtract as needed).
  3. Blend thoroughly. You'll have a frothy juice when done.
  4. Enjoy!


I tried this again with just blending the apple for several minutes to get the pulp as small as possible, but it was too tart for me. I don't like Granny Smith apples so I think juicing it helps make it drinkable. My husband liked it, tho. So there's that.

Missy, who usually steals my water (and recently discovered my tart cherry juice), enjoyed licking the water off the side of the glass. Weirdo.


I can't wait til this Autumn to try perfecting a pumpkin pie smoothie!

No comments:

Post a Comment