Wednesday, May 8, 2013

NATURAL HAIR DYE

I like to dye my hair occasionally. Not to cover up my little grey whispies (I actually like those) or because I hate my hair color (unless you count the tips turning blonde, which I do hate), but 'cause it's fun to have a little change occasionally. Naturally I have brown hair with red tones that have started fading over the year so I like to bring them out more.

Anyway, even from the beginning (first time I dyed my hair was Sophomore or Junior year of high school) I was always a little concerned about what those chemicals would do to my hair in the long run. I was always sure to at least wait a full 3 months before dying it again, but I was always worried about the damage I was causing.

One time I dyed my hair black, which was stupid, but I loved it for the month or so that I had it. My mom wanted to get a family portrait done at Thanksgiving and she wanted me to have my natural color. So my sister bleached my hair; however, she was very careful not to bleach the natural color of the roots that had already started to grow out. After she bleached it she dyed it brown, still being careful to avoid those roots. I ended up with a chunk of hair between my roots and the dye that was darker and my sister said it looked like Boston Baked Beans. So I waited a few months then re-dyed my hair to try evening it out, but after that I started dying my hair only once a year. (Pic to the right is the only pic I have of my black hair.)

It's been almost a year since I last dyed my hair, but I'm starting to remove unnecessary chemicals from my life and I really didn't want to spend that kind of money on dye. For my hair length it takes 2 of the cheap boxes or one big expensive box. So I did some research (thanks, Pinterest) and decided to try dying my hair with tea.

Using this tutorial from Holistic Chick I bough a box of Rooibos Red tea.


I boiled 3 cups of water with 3 tea bags (I put the tea bags in before it began to boil to get it as strong as possible. Then let it steep for probably about half an hour just to let it get cool enough so I could actually work with it.

 

I used a bowl in the bathtub to pour the tea over so I could dump it back into the cup and pour it several more times to get it soaked enough. Once my hair was fully saturated I twisted it up and clipped it to the top of my head. I didn't wring it out at all, just let it drip over the tub until the steady stream stopped. I let it set half an hour, keeping a towel on my shoulders because it dripped the entire time. Then did a quick rinse with warm water and let it dry.

And here's my before and after results.


I had my hair up in a pony tail all day so it was creased and looked awful. I think you can defiantly see the difference in the right light. Co-worker said she could see a difference. I'm still seeing blonde tips.

The great thing is because it's just tea you can do it again to try to darken it. It won't last that long, but it's a cheap and safe way to dye your hair. I think next time I want to try coffee to see what happens.

Oh, my hair also smelled great last night. I so prefer the smell of tea to hair dye. I'm sort of wondering about trying it as a leave in dye, like not rinsing it out. I might try it this weekend to see how that would work, what the texture would be like and if the smell would be too strong.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmh this looks like it is worth trying!
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete