Thursday, May 2, 2013

THEN VS. THAN

This is a pet peeve.

Then and than are two different words, people!

Then and than are not interchangeable!

The easiest way to distinguish the difference is to say "then" is a place in time or order and "than" is a comparison.

According to the dictionary:

then adverb
  1. at that time: Prices were lower then.
  2. immediately or soon afterward: The rain stopped and then started again.
  3. next in order of time: We ate, then we started home.
  4. at the same time: At first the water seemed blue, then gray.
  5. next in order of place: Standing beside Charlie is my uncle, then my cousin, then my brother

than conjunction
  1. used to introduce the second member of an unequal comparison: She's taller than I am.
  2. expressing choice or diversity: I had no choice other than that. You won't find such freedom anywhere else than in this country.
  3. used to introduce the rejected choice in expressions of preference: I'd rather walk than drive there.
  4. except; other than: We had no choice than to return home.

Got it? Now stop using them wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment