Friday, August 30, 2013

GENCON: THE WIL WHEATON INCIDENT

I, uh, realized I sorta forgot the most IMPORTANT part of our second day at GenCon.

Getting to see WIL WHEATON live and in person.

At 5:30 we went to the Hyatt to let the other folks in our group running Rising for the day a dinner break. Our first experience with the LARP (live action role play) was pretty confusing. Well, the husband had played before as a hunter so he had some idea of what went on. I, on the other hand, was at a complete loss. I had no idea how a LARP worked or how to act like a zombie OR at all what I was doing because everyone seemed to keep failing to understand my massive amount of questions meant that I had NO CLUE what I was doing. It went okay and was fairly fun. I at least got a sense of the storyline.

Basically, some zombies had overrun a medieval fair and some hunters showed up to kill them. It takes a lot of imagination because all 4 scenes took place in the same room. I'll explain more in the post about our full day playing zombies.

Back to Wil Wheaton.

After our one round we left to go find some dinner. There were a bunch of food trucks parked in front of the Convention Center and we had never had food from a truck, so we set out to try that.


We found the Mayfair Block Party.


While walking around with our food we heard an anouncer talking about having a special guest then introduced Wil Wheaton. We ran over to the tent just to see him standing there with a cardboard cutout.


Turns out that was actually the president of Mayfair Games, but we had no idea at the time.

Then, while wondering around I saw this tweet from Wil Wheaton:


We were definitely in the right place, but they weren't playing Catan yet. So we wondered around the actual block party (there was a gate around it and we wondered the outside). I started looking through the crowd and finally saw Wil Wheaton standing there chatting with people and drinking a beer ('cause it's what he does).


We were supposed to be back at Rising at 9:30 for the last game of the day at 10. But I noticed that they were getting things setup and arranged under the tent to start the last round of ST Catan. So we hung around (I knew we wouldn't actually be needed until about 10:30 anyway). And hung around. And the husband was about to give up but I insisted and we were rewarded at last.


Note - this doesn't count as being the jerk fan that takes a pic of him hanging out.
This was him playing the final game of the tournament.

Man, social media makes story telling a lot more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment