Thursday, September 26, 2013

BACON WRAPPED JALAPENO POPPERS, HUMMUS, AND FLAT BREAD CHIPS


I made this for dinner Saturday night. Aren't you jealous? I know I am, 'cause I want more!

I've had a bunch of jalapenos in my kitchen for the last couple weeks and I've been wanting to make these forever (I pinned a similar recipe on Pinterest ages ago). I just needed to get around to buying some cream cheese and bacon. They ended up so stinking delicious!


Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
jalapenos (I had 11 and ended up with 22 poppers)
1 pack cream cheese
1 pack bacon (I buy Oscar Mayer uncured, nitrate free 'cause the nitrates make me super forgetful and non-functional thinking-wise)

  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. I prepared my roasting pan with a wire wrack in the bottom (that way the bottom on the poppers don't get all soggy). I put tinfoil under the wrack to catch most of the grease so the pan would be easier to clean.
  3. Slice the jalapenos in half. Take out the seeds and veins, unless you want them hot.
  4. Fill the slices with cream cheese.
  5. Cut the bacon strips in half (unless you just want to have thickly wrapped poppers) and wrap around the jalapenos, placing them in the pan. 
  6. The recipe I referred to said to cook for an hour. I ended up cooking them for 45 minutes and they were perfect! It really just depends on how crispy you want the bacon.
You could also had spices and such to the cream cheese, but I just wanted to stick the the basic recipe to see how they turned out before playing around with it. Next time I'm going to include some chicken!


The hummus was super easy! I used the recipe from Salty, Sweets 'N' Sneaks. The only thing I changed was leaving out the lemon (since I can't have citrus). This was the only simple recipe I could find that didn't include tahini, which I have no clue what is.

I originally wanted to find pita chips but we couldn't find any at HyVee. I decided to make my own chips and looked for pita bread but it was expensive so I went with flat bread instead.



Baked Flat Bread Chips
flat bread (2 was perfect for us)
olive oil

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment.
  3. Lightly coat flat bread with olive oil then cut into squares (chip size-ish).
  4. Bake about 10 minutes, keeping an eye on them. I don't remember how long I ended up baking them, but I checked them every few minutes until I thought they were crisp enough. I thought they were still a little soft when I took them out, but they got perfectly crispy while cooling.

You could also season these however you want, but since this was my first time making hummus I wanted to be able to taste the hummus flavor more.

No comments:

Post a Comment