Friday, November 1, 2013

5 FRIDAY: HAPPY NOVEMBER 1ST!

What November 1st means to me...

1. Discounted Halloween candy!
After the husband dropped me off at work he went in search of candy corn. I had signed the No Candy Pledge over on Healthy Living How To so I hadn't had any sugar all of October. But today I get my once-a-year candy corn and pumpkins!

By the end of the day I'll be zonked out on sugar and swearing to never eat this junk ever again. I don't eat a lot of sugar in the first place, so we'll see how that goes.



2. Intro to Christmas Music 101
Back in...oh, let's say... 2008? Yeah, sounds about right. I made a mix CD for the coffee shop I worked for at the time. Our speaker system was on the fritz so we kept a CD player out on the front counter. Because our shop was located at Branson Landing and November 1st is the start of the Christmas season in Branson, the shops on the Landing pretty much start playing all Christmas music all the time, but about 80% of our Baristas did not want to listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving (myself included at the time). So I created a mix CD as a compromise. Out of 23 tracks, 7 were Christmas songs, and the rest were a mix of very Fall-ish songs and mellow coffee shop-type songs. Everyone was pretty happy and it's still my November mix. Here's the track listing:
1. All I want for Christmas - Danny Kaye
2. Charade - Henry Mancini
3. Let it Snow - Michael Buble
4. Moon River - Audrey Hepburn
5. On the Street Where You Live - Bill Shirley
6. Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
7. Winter Wonderland - Harry Connick Jr.
8. Blower's Daughter - Damien Rice
9. Imagine - John Lennon
10. Dreams - The Cranberries
11. Little Wonders - Rob Thomas
12. I got Rhythm - Gene Kelly
13. She - Elvis Costello
14. The Puppy Song - Mary Hopkins
15. What Child is This - Josh Groban
16. Ave Maria - instrumental
17. Vincent - Josh Groban
18. Autumn (from Vivaldi's The Four Seasons)
19. Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright
20. Baby Elephant Walk - Henry Mancini
21. Mele Malikimaka - Bing Crosby
22. Happy Christmas - John Lennon
23. I Guess the Lord Must Be in New York City - Harry Nilsson
The fun part of this mix, for me, is still remembering who I chose each song for. It was a fun group to work with.

These days I will listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving, but not daily and I won't force the husband to listen early. I'm nice and I realize that Christmas music before Christmas is not everyone's cup of tea. I respect that because that used to me.


3. Happy Bobunk!
I've probably mentioned this before, but November marks the beginning of Bobunk for my sisters and I. Bobunk originated from Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but we took it to encompass the one time a year celebration we have when my oldest sister and her husband come to visit for Thanksgiving. We cram a year's worth of celebration into a couple days.


4. Making holiday plans
I'm a planner. I've already been semi-making plans, but today I get to officially start making plans. Like thinking about Christmas gifts, booking a hotel for Christmas, deciding what I'm going to make for Thanksgiving, figuring out what days to request off for the holidays, etc.


5. November 1st
Sometimes November 1st just means being the 1st of November and that makes me excited!

It's officially the start of my favorite time of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment