Wednesday, May 28, 2014

bbq chicken and sweet potato fries


BBQ Chicken
Okay, the homemade paleo BBQ sauce didn't turn out perfect and honestly tasted more like a marinara, but it was good! Good enough for the husband to go back for seconds!

Monday night I made the sauce using this recipe: Primal BBQ Sauce. Tuesday morning I dumped a whole bag of frozen chicken breasts into my crockpot, poured on the sauce, then turned it on low to cook all day. From 7:30 to 5:00; when I got home there was more liquid than expected so I turned it up to high for about 2 hours to cook off. It stayed pretty liquidy, but the chicken was so tender!

Sweet Potato Fries
I started off by reading a couple recipes then just threw caution to the wind and figured it out on my own. I heated the oven to 400°. The husband helped cut 2 sweet potatoes into fry-like pieces (those things are tough to cut!) and I put together a mix of about 3 tbs coconut oil, some salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and ground peppercorns in a bowl with a lid. I added the cut sweet potatoes, put on the lid, then shook it like crazy to coat them all. I put some parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread out the coated fries. I started out baking the fries for 20 minutes like one recipe said, but they were still pretty mushy, so I kept checking them every 5 minutes and probably ended up baking them for about 40-45 minutes until the little pieces started to blacken.

I was put off by the fries at first because the were still a little soft, but they tasted good! There was a hint of something I didn't like in the flavor that I think was the peppercorns. After the husband finished off his fries he started stealing from my plate, but luckily there were still more on the stove.

 ---

The fries were definitely a success, but I'm gonna have to keep working on the bbq sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment