Tuesday, May 27, 2014

trek con springfield 2014

The first (hopefully) annual Trek Con Springfield happened a couple weeks ago. This is the recap:

I didn't get to go at all Friday. Saturday morning I dropped the husband off for his second day of volunteering and planned to come back later. The husband ended up having the afternoon off until his show. I joined him for the Klingon panel. It was pretty entertaining.

Robert O'Reilly (Gowron) and JG Hertzer (Martok) were in costume all day Saturday, so their panel was done half in character/half not. It was funny to hear their real voices in costume since they're usually pretty gruff sounding.


The question was, to Gowron, "What's it like being a Romulan in a Klingon body?"

video
Forgive the tiny-ness of this video; my phone isn't uploading
everything to my cloud properly so this is the easiest fix.

Klingons singing:


After that they remembered to ask that no one record for legal reasons (I'm guessing because they were in costume).

When I went back later to pick the husband up I waited outside in my car watching everyone come and go. At one point this guy walked right past me and I had to do a double-take when I realized that, oh, it was just Tim Russ who played Tuvok on Voyager. *squee*

After the husband came outside he remembered he'd left something inside. I decided to go back in with him since mostly everyone had cleared out and they were closing up for the day. While inside we saw Robert O'Reilly and JG Hertzler getting ready to leave the autograph area, so the husband asked if I wanted to meet some Klingons and we went over to them. He introduced me and JG Hertzler asked "Kelsey like Kelsey Grammer?" And they proceeded to talk about Kelsey Grammer, how nice he was and such. Then JG Hertzler said that he believes Kelsey should only be a girl's name and I told him that's how my mom felt as well.

As much as I wanted to go Sunday, it was Mothers' Day so I hung out with my family all day while the husband enjoyed the last day of TrekCon.

Did I mention that he was Aron Eisenberg's (Nog) handler for the weekend? Which means he got to basically hang out with all the celebrities all weekend? Yeah, he did. I'm still getting to hear some awesome stories. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get to meet anyone else, but listening to the husband's stories makes it okay because he had a blast.

Here's some of his pics:

With Aron Eisenberg. He's so tiny!!!
With Cirroc Lofton. This in contrast to Aron cracks me up!

Guy from Trekkies (I don't remember his name but I have a
pic of him walking into the con dressed as Guinan).
With Tim Russ


DS9 panel: (left to right) Robert O'Reilly, JG Hertzler,
Chase Masterson, Cirroc Lofton, Aron Eisenberg

My favorite pic!

The con itself, from my impression, what the husband has said, and talking to other attendees, wasn't actually all that well done. It has a lot of potential but it was lacking a lot in its inaugural year. I'm hoping it ultimately did well enough to encourage them to continue trying.

Personally, as someone that didn't attend more than about an hour and a half, I usually attend cons vicariously via Twitter. I have a list set up that I follow constantly June through August. While Trek Con Springfield has a Twitter account that they occasionally used leading up to the con, they didn't really utilize it during the con. In 3 days there was 1 tweet about a drawing to win dinner with Chase Masterson. The hashtag #TrekConSpringfield was also a little too long and used very little. As frustrated as I was at the lack of use, I made sure to hashtag everything I tweeted about the con.

Advertising was also lacking. For me, if not for the husband, the only way I would have been aware of it was the flyer I saw at Classic Rock Coffee. Apparently they only advertised on MeTV, which is great, but it's also the newest station in town (since March or April of this year) that not everyone is aware of yet.

This lack of advertising and social media presence is actually part of what led me to realize my desire to work in social media management. Sitting on my couch, looking for information about TrekCon, events and activities that were happening, I wanted so bad to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment