Friday, August 15, 2014

5 Friday: This Week's Happenings

1. GenCon
As you know, the husband is in Indianapolis attending GenCon and I'm here in little Springfield being all jealous. He's posting awesome pictures, tho. Like this:


2. RiffTrax
I went to RiffTrax Live: Godzilla (1998) last night. Now, personally, this is my favorite Godzilla movie. Granted, I haven't seen many. I've seen other Kaiju movies, tho. But, despite being my favorite, I can totally see the validity of making fun of it. I also love Matthew Broderick, but he is fairly laughable as a serious actor.
Sadly, our theater failed on the being entirely prepared front and didn't have the sound on for the new intro. featuring Jonathan Coulton. We watched it, just didn't hear it. So now I'm trying to find it online.

3. Losing Weight
I've been working hard this year to be healthy and lose weight. I've lost about 25 lbs. since January. This has lead to some interesting remarks from co-workers, but this week I received the best/funniest:
"You've lost a lot of weight. You look good! Are you doing it on purpose?"
4. Juicing
Since the husband is gone for 5 days I'm doing a 5-day juice fast. I'm loving it! I would juice all the time if it weren't so stinking expensive. I don't know how these people who live on a juice diet do it.

5. Robin Williams
When the husband told me Monday evening that Robin Williams died I was sad, but then when he said it was apparent suicide I got mad. As the evening continued I decided he was a total jerk for taking his life like that without consideration for his family. I did my best to avoid Twitter, Tumblr, and didn't want to think about it.
Then, on Tuesday, when it was ruled a suicide and details came to light, I was almost sick to think about it and just mad. Everyone was posting about depression and how this was effecting them. I ignored the blogs at first, but on Wednesday I started reading some. I follow some amazing geek bloggers who deal with depression and anxiety. I always appreciate their openness and honesty about their problems because I can identify with their social anxiety issues. So I decided to read some posts. They're all heartbroken because, well, they (and I) are all of an age that grew up with Robin Williams in our homes. Some of them even have personal experiences with him. But they're taking it well and working thru the sadness.
The blog that kind of hit my the hardest was Epbot's. Jen posted this:
A few minutes after John and I heard the news yesterday, he came into my office.
"I want you to know," he said, "That if you ever feel like it's too much, and that you can't go on, you can tell me."
I was a little taken aback, to be honest, since depression isn't really something I struggle with. But then I realized:John doesn't know that. No matter how close you are, or how long you've known someone, you can't really know what's going on inside. The demons they're facing down. The wars they're fighting. Sure, there are symptoms, but at the end of the day we just. don't. know.
And that's why we have talk about it, guys. What's more, that's why we have to ask.
I felt bad. I realized when the husband had told me Robin Williams had died and he seemed really sad, I had shut him down by telling him that "Yeah, that's sad, but you didn't know him personally." So, after reading how John responded to Jen, I asked the husband how he felt. He's sad. We all are, tho. But comedy is important to him and so many comedians have taken their lives over the years, so it does effect him differently than me.
Honestly, I keep almost crying when I read stuff. But, at this point, I'm more sad because I don't know where he stood with God. He was an amazing comedian and actor that I grew up with (I can't remember a time in my childhood when I didn't know who Robin Williams was) and it really hurts to know that he's gone because he lost hope.

This weekend I'm probably going to watch The Dead Poet's Society and have a good cry. And then I'll watch Hook and have a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment