Friday, December 11, 2015

5 Friday: Least Favorite Christmas Songs

1. Christmas Shoes
Basically this song is just awful for causing emoting and being über cheezy. The husband always lunges for the button/knob/thing that makes the song go away whenever it comes on.

Jon Acuff re-shares his post The 5 best ways to survive, "Christmas Shoes" every year. His is probably a post that will stand the test of time when it comes to songs that the general populace hates to listen to at Christmas.

2. Don't They Know It's Christmas
If my lists of 5 things were typically ranked by most to least, this song would actually be up there at number 1.

Firstly, my primary dislike of this song comes from the line "Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you." Yes, absolutely, thank God it's all the folks in Africa that are suffering from famine and draught and not us because that would just be miserable for us. Erm, I'm sorry, but while I am thankful that I'm not suffering I'm not going to be thankful that they are.

Secondly, "And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time... Do they know it's Christmas time at all?" Well, turns out that I know some people who have grown up in Africa and some who even currently live there. While snow in Africa is sparse, it does snow in some places; however, it doesn't always snow in December here in the Midwest, so snow isn't really an indicator of Christmas time. Also, I've asked my friends who have lived in Africa (albeit facetiously and they missed the joke) and they did confirm that, yes, they did know it was Christmas time in Africa.

Thirdly, I'm probably the only person living who can't stand Bono.

3. Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer
I've just generally always disliked this song. Even as a kid.

4. Mary Did You Know? - sung by anyone that's not Mark Lowry
I love this song. It's an amazing song. Originally, I had only ever heard it sung by Michael English. But a few years ago I discovered that it had been written by on of my favorite Christian comedians and heard him sing it for the first time. Personally, I feel that his voice does the song the most justice, thus it's my preferred version of the song.

5. Any Christmas song sung by Aaron Neville, Miley Cyrus, Mariah Carey, or Amy Grant.
Pretty much that's all you need to know. If you must have more information, I can't stand their voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment