Thursday, December 3, 2015

Gingerbread House

I remember when I was little going to Silver Dollar City at Christmas one year and they had this amazing display of gingerbread houses. They were beautiful. Like gorgeous and elaborate dollhouses. I remember a little horse-drawn carriage. So pretty.

I've always wanted to make a gingerbread house for Christmas but it always seems so pointless. It's made of cookies which begs the following problems:

  1. It doesn't last that long because.
    a. Cookies go stale and it won't be edible for very long.
    b. If you don't eat it before it goes stale it will start to mold.
    c. If it starts to mold that's just gross.
  2. If you eat it it won't be a pretty gingerbread house anymore.
  3. I don't like gingerbread cookies.
    a. Can I make a chocolate chip cookie house?
    b. What about snickerdoodles?
  4. If it turns out totally amazing and adorable, well, tough noogies, it's only temporary and you have to start all over next yet.
  5. It's like carving a pumpkin on October 1; it's not going to make it thru the month and you'll just have to do it again later.
    a. It's the holidays, no one has time for that.
  6. If you don't eat it before it goes bad, you'll probably end up with ants or a pet breaking it.
So if I have that many issues with making one, why would I bother? Because polymer clay!

Pretty much in love with that stuff.

So the question is, do I make a gingerbread house that's 3D that I can put a light in or do I make a 2D ornament to hang on the tree?

Decisions.
Decisions.
Decisions.

Here are some adorable ideas I've been looking at:

Perniky - It's in Czech. I know nothing.

This would be adorable to put a votive candle behind. Or, if made small enough, hang on the tree. I dunno, I would probably make this at least a foot tall because I'm crazy like that and it's adorable. Ooo, this would be cute to make out of wood and stuff for an outdoor display!



Of course a polymer clay gingerbread house tutorial already exists. So good starting point, but definitely not the one I want to make.

SprinkleBakes

I love the realistic-ish ones. The cute little European cabin style. 

Goodies by Anna

I love all the elaborate intricate icing curls on this one. I don't think I could ever have the patience for that! And the icicles! They used crushed butterscotch for the windows. I guess there's probably no polymer clay equivalent for that. I'll have to strive for this amazingness.

I think my ultimate goal would be to make a littler gingerbread version of our house. It would be so cute with candy decor!

We'll see if I manage to actually try this in the next couple weeks. I'll let ya know if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment