Friday, January 22, 2016

5 Friday: January Is Crazy

I really wanted to title this "January is cray-cray" but then I would have to hate myself because I hate the term/phrase "cray-cray."

Anyway. Moving on.

Really, though, has January felt crazy to anyone else? I mean, like, not a lot has actually happened, but it just feels like I haven't had time to savor it or anything. It hasn't completely sped by, but it's almost over and I just don't have time!

1. Kitties officially moved in.
Well, technically it was December 31, but let's not get technical. It's hard to believe it's only been 22 days since Kaylee and Marnie have gotten to start being inside the house 24/7 and not living in the laundry room anymore. It's been a hard transition for Missy because she still doesn't 100% love the girls, but she tolerates them well. We're all still learning and adapting to each other. Missy is still my baby and I make sure to get our usual snuggles in, including morning coffee time. Marnie is pretty much a total sweetie that I'm madly in love with. She melts and just loves love. Kaylee is demon spawn requires a learning curve. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love her and she's a sweet heart when she's not driving me crazy. She's eaten my phone cord, she took over the kitchen counters (which I allowed for like a day, but had to go back to ABSOLUTELY NOT), she attacks me when I'm sleeping, she attacks Missy when she's sleeping, she chews on everything, she steals the other girl's food, and yet I love her.

You have to remember, I've been so used to Missy being such a well-behaved cat for the last 6 years, so kittens are a whole new world for me. I haven't had a kitten since I was, well, pretty much a kitten myself. The good news is that Kaylee is finally starting to acknowledge that she knows when she's doing something she isn't supposed to (i.e., running away when I walk in the kitchen to find her on the counter), but that still isn't stopping her from doing it in the first place. For about 2 weeks I pretty much didn't get a solid night's sleep, so for the last week or so I've had to start making Kaylee sleep in the bathroom. I feel like a jerk when she's crying to be let out, but she's got a bed and water and I have to get some sleep.

Also, she's totally a dog and chases her tale. It's awesome.

2. Adapting to the husband's schedule.
Also a thing that started in December, but still working on it. The husband works nights now, 11 p.m. to 7 a.m., Monday through Thursday (Friday morning). When he heads to work I go to bed and when he gets home in the morning I head to work and he goes to bed. Thankfully, at least, work and sleep overlap for us so we still have our normal evening time. It's hard for him to adapt to being a day sleeper, but we started implementing a solid schedule last week and it seems to be starting to work. Initially he'd come home and sleep til noon, take a 2 hour nap before work, and he just stayed tired. With the new schedule he sleeps his full 8 hours while I'm at work. On Sunday nights we go to bed at the same time and he gets up with me on Monday mornings, then takes about an hour nap before work that night. So, y'know, for now this seems to be working. It stinks, but it works.

3. Organizing the closet
I've been spending a lot of time on the closet. Basically, it's one of the few things I can work on in the house right now. It's too cold to work in the laundry room and most other projects we need to do will take more money than we can afford to spend right now or require working outside where it's really cold. The last 2 Fridays I've come home and spent several hours working on it while the husband was at his other job. I'm close to being done, so you'll see the finished product eventually.

4. Gilmore Girls
We have been binging this like crazy. We started season 7 this week. I firstly reminded the husband that Amy Sherman-Palladino had nothing to do with the last season so if stuff that seems completely out of character happens, that's why.

5. IT'S SO DARK!!!
Typically, I freaking love how early it gets dark, but this year it's just really hard and I feel like I have no time to do anything and my nights just disappear. I think it must be because after we bought the house as soon as I'd get home from work we'd do all kinds yard work, cleaning, and organizing, but once it's dark (and cold) it's pretty much impossible to work outside. And it just makes me feel tired.

I hate to say it, but I'm actually looking forward to the Spring this year so I can start doing all the landscaping I'm dreaming of.

No comments:

Post a Comment