Friday, April 15, 2016

5 Friday: Phase 3

In talking about things we need to do vs. want to do to the house, I've explained to the husband that I think in phases based on what I learned from reading Young House Love. Phase 1 projects are things we need to do in the here-and-now to make some things more livable while we save up for Phase 2 projects. Phase 2 projects are obviously the long-term goals, things we want to do to the house that we just can't afford right now or aren't imminently necessary.

However, there are also projects I'm calling Phase 3. Phase 3 projects are neither needs or even actual current wants. Phase 3 projects are more like daydream ideas that have popped into my mind that may or may not ever happen. They're not priority and really no clue if they'll ever happen. They're more or less "if we ever win the lottery without playing" projects, but on the less side of that I'm hoping for "everything else is done so we might as well play now" projects.

Here are just a few Phase 3 ideas:

1. Guesthouse
We have a shed in the backyard. It's a fairly large/long shed. Per the picture below, our chicken coop (which now houses our compost pile) is just out of shot on the left. The green double doors is the first section that will eventually become my workshop/office (this is Phase 2 because it has to do with our eventual plans to own our own business and working from home). The white door down at the right end is the section I dream of turning into a little guesthouse someday. This dream kind of wobbles between Phase 2 and 3. It's something I really want to do, I just don't know that it's very realistic, at least not any time soon.


I'm currently building a Pinterest board for this:


2. Wall of doors
This is the backside of our house:


Where the 4 windows are is our main entry/mudroom. I imagine some day replacing those windows with bi-folding doors. It's partly the idea of when we want to go into the backyard we can go directly into the backyard.

Something like this would be gorgeous:


3.Deck
I love our gazebo and have plans for it (that I'm really hoping to accomplish this year). But I'm aware that our gazebo is older (at least 4+), the wood is warping, the paint is peeling, and I'm just not really sure how much repair it will really need before it's time to give up and replace it. I think we could potentially get 10 years out of it, but I guarantee nothing.


I figure, if we ever actually do the the wall of doors it would make perfect since to wrap the wooden porch around the house to create a full deck on the backside. It would be awesome. But, that's if we do the wall of doors. Otherwise, if we ever have to rip out the gazebo we'll probably replace it with another gazebo.

4. Kitchen
This is one we probably wouldn't ever do, but I toy with occasionally. I love our kitchen as is, but sometimes I think about the idea of taking out the cabinet and counter over by the bathroom (on the right) and moving the fridge over there. Then I would take out the counters on the left (hidden behind the fridge) and put in a little breakfast nook.

Pic from realty listing, that's not our stuff.

I also think about expanding the pantry (out of shot on the right) sometimes. But if I never do anything to change the kitchen (other than finish making curtains for the window over the sink) I'll still love my kitchen.

5. Driveway
Our driveway is steep. It's not long, just steep. There's a hill right at the front of the driveway. You have to master angles and timing going in and out of the driveway to avoid scraping your bumper. It's fun. After 6 months I finally figured out the correct angle and at what point to start turning to avoid scraping and I now only scrape the bumper very rarely and only minimally.

Outside of mastering angles and timing, there are 3 alternate solutions to this problem:

  1. Buy a vehicle with a higher body base (are those the right words? I dunno, I don't speak car) such as an SUV. This would be the obvious and cheapest solution.
  2. Adjust the slope of the driveway. This would likely involve curving the driveway slightly through the front yard. This is potentially possible, but would include relocating the mailbox and losing some landscaping.
  3. I don't even know what to call this option. It would cost a fortune and require digging out the driveway to level it with the street, which would get the city involved and be a lot of hassle. It would be a very cool result, tho. Rather than hiding the car below ground, I would use this to pull into the lowered driveway, then raise the car up to pull into the garage. I know the husband would like it because he keeps talking about digging out the backyard to build a hanger under the gazebo for the X-Jet.



No comments:

Post a Comment